The Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange reviewers listen to a lot of new music, so I asked each of them to send me their Top 5 "new to you" CDs for 2007. I have posted their responses here. These recordings are not necessarily 2007 releases, but instead CDs heard by the reviewers for the first time in 2007. Also, the CDs listed have not necessarily been reviewed by FAME. In cases where we have reviewed the CD, I have linked that review from the title of the album. I linked each performer's web site from the performer's name. Enjoy!
Mois Benarroch's list:
- David Munyon - A Song for Danko - Munyon is the unknown Townes Van Zandt
- Various Artists - Warmer For The Spark: The Songs of Jimmy MacCarthy. Released in Ireland in 1999, covers of Ireland's best songwriter by the likes of Mary Black, Frances Black, Maura O'connell, and many others.
- Walt Wilkins - Hopewell. How obscure does it get?
- Ben Weaver - Stories Under the Nails. Defintely the discovery of the year.
- Van Morrison - Pay The Devil. An album of country covers was not meant to be one of Morrison's bestsellers, so I was surprised when this CD did not leave my player for weeks.
Tampa Blue's list:
Lindsay Cobb's list:
Bob Gottlieb's list:
Frank Gutch, Jr's list:
Mike Jurkovic's list:
- Rachel Ries – Without A Bird A hauntingly welcome throwback to when the music mattered. Contemporary rusticity at its finest.
- Gabriella Montero – Baroque: Classical themes through a jazz improvisor’s soul. Watch and listen for great things
- Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - Hope Radio. No one channels SRV like Earl
- John Coltrane – Interplay. ‘Trane of course is not new to me, but the release of this box set– the complete Prestige recordings with ‘Trane as a sideman – reveals some glorious swing. AL Cohn, Zoot Sims, Tommy Flanagan. . .giant peers all.
- Woody Guthrie – The Live Wire. Woody in all his glory with Marjorie trying to rein him in, circa 1949.
Dave Pyles' list:
Mark S. Tucker's list:
Copyright 2007, Peterborough Folk Music Society.
This review may be reprinted with prior permission and